Older versions of JetBrains products may not support two-factor authentication (2FA) and will not prompt you to enter a one-time verification code when signing in. To sign in and activate such products, you’ll need to enter a temporary app password instead of your regular one.
Check if your product supports 2FA
The easiest way to figure out if your product supports 2FA is to take a look at the product registration dialog.
- Start your JetBrains product.
- Open the product registration dialog. In most products, you can do so by selecting Help | Register from the menu.
- Select JetBrains Account or JB Account as your activation method.
- Take a look at the interface:
- If you see two fields to enter username and password, you have an older version that doesn’t support 2FA. In this case, you need an app password to sign in.
- If you see the Log in to JetBrains Account button that opens your web browser and takes you to the JetBrains Account website, your product supports 2FA and you don’t need the app password.
If your product doesn’t support 2FA, follow the steps below to get your app password and sign in.
Copy your app password
- Sign in to your JetBrains Account.
- At the top of the page, click Your account.
- In the menu on the right, select Password.
- In the Two-factor authentication section, click Get app password.
- In the Identification dialog, enter the one-time verification code from your authenticator app and click Get app password.
- Click Copy app password to copy your password to the clipboard.
The password you just copied is temporary, so there’s no need to save or memorize it. For security reasons, it changes every time you open this dialog. You can get a new app password in your JetBrains Account at any time.
Sign in with your app password
- Open your JetBrains product.
- Open the product registration dialog. In most products, you can do it by selecting Help | Register from the menu.
- In the dialog, enter the same username you normally use to sign in to your JetBrains Account.
- In the password field, enter the app password you just copied and click Activate.
- That’s it! Your product is activated.