To enable two-factor authentication (2FA) for your JetBrains Account, follow the steps below.
Step 1. Set up 2FA
- Sign in to your JetBrains Account.
- At the top of the page, click Your account.
- In the menu on the right, select Password.
- In the Two-factor authentication section of the page, click Enable 2FA.
- In the setup dialog, enter your password and click Next. You'll see the QR code that you'll need at step 8.
- Install an authenticator app of your choice on your mobile device. To learn more about authenticator apps, see What is two-factor authentication?
- Open your authenticator app and add a new account. In most apps, you’ll need to tap a plus button to do it. If you’re unsure about how to proceed, look for instructions provided by your app’s manufacturer.
- Use your app to scan the QR code in the setup dialog. If you can't scan the code, manually enter the setup key instead.
- Once you’ve scanned the QR code or entered the key, your JetBrains Account is saved to your authenticator app. The app now shows a verification code that changes at short intervals.
- To complete the setup, enter the code from your authenticator app into the corresponding field in the 2FA setup dialog and click Next.
Step 2. Save alternative sign-in methods
You’re almost done! 2FA is now enabled for your account. Now it’s time to save your recovery codes and, if needed, copy the app password.
Recovery codes are your safety net in case you lose access to your mobile device. Each of these codes can be used instead of a one-time verification code. Save the codes now to avoid getting locked out of your account.
- Click Copy recovery codes or Download as TXT.
- Store your codes in a secure location where only you can access them. We recommend using secure applications like 1Password or LastPassword for this purpose.
Each of the codes only works once, but you can generate a new set at any time. For more information, see How do I sign in with a recovery code?
If you only use the latest versions of JetBrains products, you're all set! Feel free to close the setup dialog now.
However, if you’re using older versions of JetBrains products that don’t support 2FA, you’ll need an app password to sign in and activate them. Click Copy app password to copy it to the clipboard.
Enter the app password instead of your regular password in the product registration dialog.
This password is temporary, so there’s no need to save or memorize it. You can get a new app password in your JetBrains Account at any time.
To find out whether your product supports 2FA and get detailed instructions on using app passwords, visit How do I activate older JetBrains products that don't support two-factor authentication?
Sign in with two-factor authentication
Congratulations! Your JetBrains Account is now protected from unauthorized access. The next time you sign in, you’ll be required to enter a one-time password generated by your authenticator app.