Assigning commercial licenses from the license certificate email Follow
You can assign recently purchased licenses to end users directly from the license certificate email you received upon completing the purchase.
The instructions below will walk you through the assignment process. You can choose between bulk sharing and manual license-by-license assignment.
Note: Typically, the method described below works for purchases made less than a week ago. Licenses purchased earlier than that can be assigned using your JetBrains Account. See this article for instructions.
Note: You only need to assign new licenses. If you renew a previously assigned license, the renewal is applied automatically in the user's JetBrains Account.
The bulk sharing option allows you to quickly distribute licenses within your team without manually assigning them to each individual user. All you need to do is copy an invitation link and share it with your team members.
If you prefer to distribute licenses one by one instead, skip to the instructions on manual assignment.
- Open your license certificate email and click the software activation link.
You can also find the link in the PDF license certificate attached to the email.
- This will take you to the license assignment page, where you can find the invitation link.
Click Copy link to save it to the clipboard.
Note: If you see the JetBrains Account login window instead of this page, it means that the software activation link has expired and you need to use your JetBrains Account to distribute the licenses. See this article for instructions.
- Share the invitation link with your team in any way you prefer, such as by email or via a messaging app.
- And that's it – your part is done! Your team members can now claim licenses. The process is outlined in the next section.
While users are claiming licenses, we recommend that you take a moment to create a JetBrains Account. This will allow you to assign and revoke your licenses after the software activation link in the email has expired.
How to claim a license using the invitation link
- The invitation link takes users to the JetBrains Account login page.
- Users that already have a JetBrains Account only need to sign in to claim a license.
- Those who don't have an account will need to create one. They can do so by entering their email address in the sign-up form at the bottom of the page.
- Once logged in, the user will see their new license on the account page. Now they can enter their account credentials in their JetBrains product to activate it.
Note: If a user receives a No assets left error message instead, it means all the licenses in the order have been claimed by other users. To free up a license, you can revoke one from a user who no longer needs it.
If you prefer to assign licenses one by one rather than share them in bulk, follow the instructions below.
- To get to the license assignment page, click the software activation link in your license certificate email, as described in Step 1 of the bulk sharing instructions.
- On the license assignment page, click the Licenses tab to see the list of licenses in your order.
Consult the Assigned to column to check which licenses are available and which are already taken by users.
- To assign a license to a new user, find an available one and click the Assign button next to it.
- In the dialog that pops up, enter the user's email address and name, and then click Assign.
- That's it! The license is now assigned.
While the user is logging in to their JetBrains Account to claim the license, we recommend that you take a moment to create a JetBrains Account. This will allow you to assign and revoke your licenses after the software activation link in the email has expired.
How to claim an assigned license
- The license is assigned to the JetBrains Account registered with the email address provided by the license administrator.
- If the user already has a JetBrains Account registered with this email address, all they need to do is log in to make sure they have received the license.
- If they don't have an account yet, they will receive an invitation to create one.
- Once the license has appeared on the account page, the user can enter their account credentials in their JetBrains product to activate it.
Creating a JetBrains Account to manage licenses
The assignment method described in this article only works for purchases made less than a week ago. To assign and revoke licenses after that, you'll need a JetBrains Account.
If you don't already have one, you can create it on the license assignment page by clicking the Get a JetBrains Account link at the top.
In the dialog that pops up, enter your email address. Make sure you use the same email address to which the license certificate was delivered. Otherwise, you'll have to request permission from the original order recipient to manage the licenses.
Once you've entered your email, click Create JetBrains Account and check your inbox for further instructions.